1 in 4 people said they would be more likely to pay for goods & services
offered by businesses employing apprentices

72% of employers reported that apprenticeships improved their
productivity or the quality of their Products.

Apprenticeships are available in a wide range of sectors from banking,
fashion & law to nuclear & human resources.

86% of apprentices stay in employment after finishing their apprenticeship

Apprenticeships are available in over 170 industries


An apprenticeship is a real job with training that allows the individual to “earn while they learn”.

It can last between 1 – 5 years depending on the type of apprenticeship. The minimum is 1 year. 20% of an apprentice’s time is spent in off the job training

Do you know that only 1 in 5 employers offer work experience in the UK?

Strive Development can assist you in developing a meaningful work experience programme that can give you the opportunity to see what young people
have to offer & help them to increase their confidence and employability skills.

Apprenticeships are changing from frameworks to standards

  • Frameworks consist of 4 key elements: knowledge, competence, key skills &
    rights & responsibilities.
  • Frameworks will be phased out over time
  • Standards describe the skills
    & knowledge an individual
    needs to be competent in an occupation.
  • Standards are designed by employer groups
  • Standards will include an independent end point assessment
  • You may have heard apprentice standards referred to as “Trailblazer apprenticeships”


  • Intermediate

    Level 2 – equivalent to 5 good GCSE passes

  • Advanced

    Level 3 – equivalent to 2 A-Levels. Applicants should have 5 GCSE passes or completed an Intermediate apprenticeship

  • Higher

    Level 4 & 5 equivalent to ONC, HNC & Foundation Degree. Applicants should have a level 3 qualification (A-levels or Advanced apprenticeship)


    Level 6 & 7 equivalent to a degree or masters. This involves the apprentice attending university either 1 day a week or on block release & working the rest of the time. An alternative to a full time degree & without the debt.

    The government is putting more emphasis on higher level & degree apprenticeships.


  • From May 17, employers with a wage bill over £3million will be required to pay an apprentice levy of 0.5% of their wage bill via PAYE. Those with a wage bill less than £3million will not pay the levy.
  • The levy will be used to pay for apprenticeship training & end assessments. So employers paying the levy will draw down funding through the Digital Apprenticeship Service to pay colleges directly.
  • Non-Levy companies will contribute 10% of apprenticeship training & assessments costs, with the government paying the remaining 90%.
  • Additional support is available for employers with less than 50 employees & for those employing apprentices aged 16-18 ( & those 19-24 on a care or local authority education, health & care plan)


  • 30 Hours

    You must employ the apprentice for a minimum of 30 hours per week.

  • Minimum Wage

    MINIMUM WAGE Employers must pay at least the apprentice minimum wage of £3.40/hour (as at Oct 16) for an apprentice’s 1st year. Their rate then increases dependent on their age (https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates). The minimum rates are changed every October.

  • Support

    You need to induct the apprentice & support them in their training & review their progress regularly.


  • Help

    • You identify an apprenticeship standard
    • Advertise an apprenticeship vacancy
    • Identify a registered Training Provider
    • Identify an End Point Assessor

From April 2016, employers do not pay national insurance contributions for apprentices aged under 25.
If you are interested in knowing more about apprenticeships, please contact us to discuss further.